- You can see George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic almost every month, somewhere in the United States, Europe or Asia. That's not the case with the 420 Funk Mob, P-Funk front man Mike Clip Payne's off days project. The band actually turns down more shows than they take. It's been that way since the bands first show in 1997 and continues in 2012, making every 420FM show a very special event.
- The 420 Funk Mob features a revolving cast of current and former members
of Parliament/Funkadelic along with an all star squad of musician
friends that reads like a Whose
Who list of legendary performers and up and coming artists. The
result is a band
that cuts across all musical boundaries with a blistering attack
of Funk, Soul, straight up Jammin and smokin' Rock N Roll. A true mob of musicians, from different genres, places and times
united by their dedication to groove.
- You never
know what may happen at a 420FM show. Who may show up as part of
the band. What songs are they going to play? Who might be the nights
special guests? Even the make up of the band can change. The 420FM
has been everything from a striped down 6 piece Psychedelic Funk
Rock Band to an 18 piece Funkestra with horns, strings, four or
five guitar players and assorted background singers.
- Sometimes the 420 Funk Mob brings in some Outside talent from all across the musical spectrum for special "Hits." Icons like
George Clinton, Fred Wesley from the JB's, Jazzman Stanley Jordan, Meters founder Leo Nocentelli,, Stokholm Syndrome's Eric McFadden, Violinist Lili Haydn and the Bad Brains founders Dr. Know and Daryl Jenifer. International artists like French Pop Star
Matthew"M" Chedid, Super Discounts Alex Gopher and Etienne DeCrecy. Diverse atists like DJ Logic, or the
MuzikMafia's Jon Nicholson, James Otto, Shannon Lawson and Jerry
Navarro all have Mobbed Up. The 420FM A handpicked crew from an international gang of musicians.
- The 420 FM began making
history right from the start. The bands first and second shows sold
out New York City's TRAMPS in a matter of hours. The 420FM International
crew were the featured musical guests on the Canal + celebration
of France’s World Cup victory. A cable and satellite TV special
that was viewed by over ten million people across Europe.
- Legendary Funk pioneer George Clinton had his first 420 experience
in 2001 at New York’s historic club Wetlands. When the Press asked George
about his first appearance with the 420 Funk Mob all he could do
was smile. “It was like 1969 all over again.” Since
that day 420FM became George’s “Other Band” that
he sits in with regularly where he gets to just let it all go, be
one of the band and have some straight up fun.
- The 420 Funk Mob is the only unsigned band ever picked to be the official ESPN/NFL Tailgate Party Band. At Super Bowl Thirty Nine, the first Super Bowl after the Janet Jackson and Justin TImberlake "incident" the band appeared under the politically correct banner “Wefunk
FM” on a stage set up in the stadium parking lot. The band was joined by special guests George Clinton, Sativa, and the MuzikMafia's Jon "King" Nicholson and Jerry Navarro. The band had the honor of sharing the Entertainment duties that night with Gretchen Wilson, Alicia Keys and Paul McCartney.
- The 420 Funk Mob's European concert
debut at the Chillen Drone Festival was simulcast on Radio and Television
in Spain as part of Spainsh National Radio 3's 25th Birthday Party. They also were inteviewed and filmed for MTV Europe.
- In Germany the 420FM with special guests George Clinton,
Fred Wesley, Kid Funkadelic and Kendra Foster were joined by label mates DRUGS to headline the Audiosoul Festival. A music
and media festival that took place in the courtyard of the famed
Heidelberg Schloss. The 1200 year old Castle ruins that during the
day are Europe’s third largest tourist attraction.
Funk Mob have also been showcased at the legendary CMJ Conference
in New York.
- The 420 Funk Mob were the first band to perform live on Sirius Satellite
Radio’s first day of world wide internet broadcasting on Halloween
- 420FM featuring Rx and Geoerge Clinton did the first Rock to Save Darfur Concert in New York City at theCenter for Ethical Culture. The were joined by Agnostic Front and Women of the Calabash for a night of music that the critics called "a tour de force. The 420 Funk Mob featuring Rx and special guest George Clinton had the crowd on their feet dancin while bringing awarness to a very sad situation in Darfur. Money raised for the show was used to free slaves that have been captured in the fighting.
- 420FM has released two critically
acclaimed albums from the WEFUNK Ad2K Live Concert archives. The
first “Live on the Off Days” features performances from
the bands very first show at Tramps in 1997 thru their sold out
shows at Welands in 2001. The double cd showcases the bands revolving
line up featuring apparances by Bad Brains Dr. Know and Daryl Jennifer,
Jazzman Stanley Jordan, and Pfunk’s Mike Kidd Funkadelic Hampton,
Shelia “Amuka” Horn and Andre Foxxe.
- The release of their second
album "Alive in Spain" prompted Jambase.com to call the
420FM “a band determined to build on the legacy of George
Clinton... if not the full blown return to the Pedro Bell era of
Funkadelic glory". The three cd set features the band as a 21 piece
Funkestra that included special guests George Clinton, Garry Starchild
Shider, Violinist Lili Hayden (Herbie Hancock), Drummer Zach Alford
(B52's, Gwen Stefani) the Wefunk Horns Shane Kirsch and Dean Jones.
- 420 Funk Mob's East and West Coast dates in 2009 left the promoters and road crew standing around with their mouths open in awe, and the audience on their feet . " Pleeeeze....You gotta come back and do an encore or they're gonna tear my place apart." one promoter pleaded with the band last tour. The live album "Screamin for More" features performances from The Mateel Center in California, Bearsville Theater in Woodstock NY and The Asylym in Portland Maine.
- In 2011 the band was High Times Magazine choice to headline the first High Times Medical Cannabis Cup in America in Detroit. There is talk of the band going to Amsterdam to play the magazines 25th Cannabis Cup show in 2013.
- In 2012 the band did a surprise Valentines show in the Boston area to celebrate George Clinton's doctorate presentation at the Berklee School of Music. The tiny club was packed to capacity as the band broke out a set of Funkadelic classics including some amazing Sly Stone, Neil Young, and Beatles covers.
- 420FM broke down after more than 10 years decided to go to the West Coast to turn out their fans who have been clamoring for some shows since 1997. Clip relented so the band took flight for the "20 Dolla Holla Tour," performing at The Mint in LA, theRed Fox Tavern in the Heart of California's Green Triangle on 4/20 and finishing it up at Bob Weir's Sweeetwater Music Hall. Along the way they were joined by George Clinton, Treylewd Clinton, Bride of Funkenstein Shelia Horn Brody, Norwood Fisher from Fishbone, Lonnie Marshal from Weapon of Choice, Louie Resto EMINEM's collaborator, and RonKat Spearman of Parliament/Funkadelic
- The 420 Funk Mob will be taking it to the road for a special series of show with Ivan Nevill'es Dumpstaphunk and some all star support acts in the fall of 2012..
- The 420 Funk Mob's studio album of all original material The Emperor Has No Clones is coming soon. Flirt the first single was leaked on line features George Clinton, and the late Garry Starchild Shider.
- The 420 Funk Mob...Whatever it takes, Whatever the Party calls for.
- Dedicated to the Preservation and the Motivation of Hips!
- For Booking call: 845 270 3332
Mike Clip Payne
Lige Curry (Funkadelic)
Billy Bass Nelson (Funkadelic)
Skeet Curtis (Maceo Parker, Pfunk)
Fred Cash Jr (Big Lovely)
Derrik Davis (Original P)
Mike Kidd Funkadelic Hampton (Funkadelic)
Garry Starchild Shider (Funkadelic)
Rickey Rouse (Parliament/Funkadelic)
Ted Orr (Blob)
Adam Widoff (Lenny Kravitz)
Ron Priest Smith (The Spinners)
Jeremy Bernstein (Stoney Clove)
The Flash (The Woo Warriors)
Eric McFadden (Stolkhom Syndrom)
Jen Leigh (Kelis)
Joey Eppard (3)
Gabe Gonzalez (P-Funk)
Zach Alford (B52s, Gwen Stefani)
Chicken Burke (Big Lovely)
Richie Shakin Nagan
Danny Bedrosian (Pfunk)
Peter Keys (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Greg Fitz (Bootsy's Collins)
Ross Rice (Voodelic)
The LAW (Amy Winehouse)
Kendra Foster (Pfunk)
Garry Starchild Shider (Pfunk)
Rock Attack 10 (Gotcha)
Greg Thomas (Parliament)
Bennie Cowens (Parliament)
Paul Henderson (Karl Berger)
Dave Cast (Karl Berger)
Dean Jones (Dog with Fleas)
Shane Kirsch (Fuzzy Flow)
George Clinton (Funkadelic)
Fred Wesley (Horny Horns, JB's)
Dr. Know (Bad Brains)
Daryl Jenifer (Bad Brains)
Leo Nocentelli (Meters)
James Otto (MuzikMafia)
Shannon Lawson (MuzikMafia)
Jon Nicholson (MuzikMafia)
Badal Roy (Miles Davis)
Lili Hayden (Herbie Hancock)
420 Funk Mob Website
Funk Mob Myspace
Funk Mob on MYFUNK
Find more music like this on MYFUNK